Estate planning is mainly about protecting and maintaining the assets you have accrued. That sounds simple enough. However, experience shows that many dangers are lurking out there, such as divorce, death, your personal contribution under the Dutch Exceptional Medical Expenses Act (Algemene wet bijzondere ziektekosten), as well as expected and unexpected assessments imposed by the tax authorities, just to name a few.
When should you start thinking about Estate Planning
For many people a shocking event has to occur before they stop to think about the options for transferring their assets to the next generation. Quite often it is too late by that time to give optimal shape to the transfer. It is better to consider the questions listed below early on:
- Who will acquire my assets if I die expectedly or unexpectedly?
- How do I ensure that my assets remain within the family?
- Is or will my family be fit to dispose of my assets?
- What arrangements can I make to ensure that they handle my assets wisely?
- How much tax will my family owe after my death and is that amount available?
- Must the tax owed come from an enterprise?
- How will this affect the continuity of the enterprise?
- Will I leave behind any financial worries?
- Can I help my children financially while I am alive?
- What will my partner be entitled to if we split up?
These may not be the easiest to answer, but they are nevertheless the questions that everyone should ask themselves from time to time. And the sooner you do so, the better. Your estate planner will help you to bring structure to your wishes and will give input on how to make your wishes reality. Naturally, all of this will be done in a way that you make optimal use of all tax facilities.
Estate Planning encompasses more
Estate planning encompasses more than just transferring assets to the next generation. It also includes advising on your entire personal situation, including your finances: from prenuptial and postnuptial agreements to divorces, from last wills and testaments to gift schemes and from business successions to financial planning. Whatever questions you have, you can contact Van Oers Estate Planning.
Estate Planning and you
Contact us to discuss your ideas. We will give you our input, explain how to realise your wishes in the most optimal manner and assist you in achieving the end result you desire. Do not hesitate to contact us using the form shown in the upper right-hand corner. You may expect our reply within 24 hours.